Monday, July 19, 2010

Thing # 20

I like using videos with my students.  I think it gives them an opportunity to hear important concepts in a different way.  Videos are also a way for students to see things from a different perspective without the trouble of finding people to come into my room.
I think the Evaluating Websites video is important for all students to see.  Each year I give at least one project that requires students to do research.  It bothers me so much how students will take something as the truth without question.
I have seen the 2nd video, A Vision of Students Today, before but I cannot remember where I have seen it.  I think there will always be a place for some people who need the classroom to be focused on learning but there are so many other ways that people can learn.  I believe we are in a time for great experimentation in how we can use technology to learn.
On YouTube, I watched a video about going from Web 1.0 to Web 2.0 to Web 3.0.  Initially, the web was just informational.  Then, with what I have done in this course, web 2.0 is more interactive.  The users contribute to the information.  It is more like there is ownership involved.  The progression is that the web is becoming personalized.  Different sites will "anticipate" what you will want ; give recommendations for other things you may like.
The amount of videos on You Tube is so much more than Teacher Tube in terms of what I would look for to watch and use.  But, even though I do use videos in my class, it is rare that I will use them off of either of these sites.  I have found other instructional sites that have videos that I prefer to use.  One of the main reasons is that I find the search time on these two sites to be longer than on the instructional sites that I have found.

Here is a video that I am embedding.


1 comment:

  1. Great job! Don't you feel the power over technology now!

    ReplyDelete